Saturday, September 29, 2007

saturday evening with mr.t...

this week comes a story about grampa floyd,gramma,and paul and loree...

that would be these fine people












As told to me by my father, Paul Timlin, to the best of my memory. All true? Heck I don't know. But it probably was, and it is amusing anyway.


Happened about 1953, when the green house on Old 27 was being built. Floyd and Margaret may have been moved in, or were still living at Cornwell Farms log cabin, not sure. Must have been spring time.


Floyd and Paul Noss were digging a ditch for a septic tank or water system or something, trying to get it down in a hurry for the "new house" being built on old 27 or South Clare avenue as described in Floyd Allen #1.


Paul and Loree Timlin were on their way up north to visit. Paul had actually helped Floyd build the house, and as I understand it, lent about $5,000 to Floyd to help complete the finances. Floyd did pay them back later.


It was pouring rain. Margaret Allen, as usual, was real upset at Floyd when he wouldn't listen to her and went out in the pouring rain with Noss. Noss had his tractor and both of them were out in the pouring rain soaked right through to the skin. Drenched to the bone. Needed a wet suit. Creature from the black lagoon. But I digress.
(Sorry, I added that part! I bet your sorry too.)


To no avail, Margaret would yell out the door "Floyd! You come in out of that rain right now! You're going to catch pneumonia!" Of course, Floyd would not come in. Had to get that pipe laid.


Paul and Loree pull up in the drive. Unload their suitcase and run in to the house. Paul and Loree ask what Floyd and Paul Noss are doing out in the rain. Margaret explained and asked Paul (I think Loree told him to) go out get that foolish old coot in the house before he gets sick or has a heart attack.


Paul went out. He told Floyd and Paul Noss:
(paraphrased): "You two ought to know better than to be out here in weather like this. You just forget about this project before you catch pneumonia or get sick and wind up in the hospital. I wouldn't be out here working in this rain, and I'm half your age."


Floyd: "Who's gonna make us?"


Paul: "I am. If I don't bring you two inside, Margaret and Loree are both gonna kill us all or starve us to death!"


They all quit and went inside. The mere mention of the wives killing them was close enough to replace any fear of God they may have leftover from Sunday School. Besides, if the women didn't kill them, they surely would have withheld supper and dessert back in those days, and might have even locked them out of the house in the rain. That was enough for a thousand deaths

No comments: