Tuesday, December 11, 2007

floyd allen , oct.15 , 1887 - dec. 11 , 1958


i was 3 yrs and 4.5 months when grampa floyd passed on .
do i remember him ? i have one fairly clear memory of
him , at the green house . everyone was there , of course .
it was the time he , or someone else , put his hat on me .
and i , of course , started crying . typical...none of the
gang got a chance to know him , except through the stories
from our parents . as i understand it , all us gang members
inherited some traits of him , 'specialy that allen stubborness .
so here's to you grampa ,
and thanks for your part in making us
who we are

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mother, Loree,Floyd Allen's daughter (1 of 3 of course)was pregnant with me at the time Granpa Allen passed away. I was born 9 days later. I have always felt bad that I never got a chance to know him or have anything to remember about him,(nor him, me) but have heard nothing but great things. I remember visiting his grave there with gramma Allen many times. Well like the Blood, sweat, and tears song says: And when I die, and when I'm gone, they'll be one child born to carry on' somethin like that. I always liked the fact that when I was in the green house,sometimes I would think how it was built by grampa.

steve said...

i too was fascinated by the fact that grampa built that house.of course he had help,between his sons-in-law(and my uncle dewayne too),and his neighbors and friends,but i was always told he did a majority of the work himself.gramma always seemed real proud of him,he was quite a guy.

Anonymous said...

I have read letters that Floyd wrote when he was in WW1. very interesting, great lanquage, a language lost I believe. I don't know who has those, I would assume Theo or someone in the family.

steve said...

yes dan,as i wrote you,it is someone in the family.i'll send you some scans i made of some of them.