Saturday, October 11, 2008

saturday nite nostalgia tour...




on the recomendation of mr. t...it's kinda fun.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. T-Says - "I just had to commment further, because, let's face it, I have a big mouth....oops, wrong speech.

MacArthur's Park (Richard Harris): this was the another song that defined the summer of 1968 and that era in general. I really get nostalgic about that trip to california when I hear that because like Classical Gas, it was innovative and we listened to it on the radio in the middle of the desert somewhere, along with This Guy's in Love by Herb Alpert, a rae vocal by him. The in the fall, another long song came out -Hey Jude. MacArthur Park was longer! Jude was abuot &:04, Park was around 7:24 (youtube video says 7:30, I chopped off a few seconds. I could check the single later, I stll have it in the basement!).

Anonymous said...

Mr T.says -2nd subject:

Let's face it, they only had 7 plus minutes and could not fit in all of significant TV shows, let alone a few popular short run ones. The Prisoner was very popular but short run, as was the Smothers Brothers, the Munsters, and the Adams Family (only two years).It must have been grueling and heartbreaking as it was fun to create - they did not even touch on cartoons for example, except "Davy and Goliath," a "Claymation" type cartoon. ("Gee, Davy, I'm glad they didn't leave us out!" says Goliath).

Nightime Cartoons-a network television first broadcast (no syndicated reruns at first) included Johhny Quest and the Flintstones especially.This does not include the vast Saturday morning and Sunday midday cartoons like Bugs Bunny road runner hour, Scooby Do, Bullwinkle
(converted from Rocky the Flying squirrel evening cartoon)and thousands of others we grew up with. They made the cereal and toy companies rich.

I wrote down here some TV shows left out that we all recall. This can be hard if you don't remember a few but you can look them up on google or youtube:

My Favorite Martian - ran 3 years, most often on Sunday night between Lassie and Ed Sullivan.

Daniel Boone (don't even start singing the version I know you're going to sing!)
Gentle Ben-Ronny Howard's little brother proved he can be a child star just like his brother, wihout help from an idiot deputy. Just a bear. Which one was safer to be around?

The Dean Martin Show
The Andy Williams Show
Johnny Carson's Tonight Show

The Original Bill Cosby show - 1969played a phys ed. teacher named Chet.


**Biggie here** - The Ed Sullivan Show-hello? Dump Car 54 and replace it with this!

The Jackie Gleason Show - also a biggie in more ways than one.

Jimmie Dean Show - no sausages here.

Perry Mason - for Christ's sake, they left Perry Mason out? 6 out of the 8 years it was on was in the 60's.

I Spy - 3 years.
The Avengers
Outer Limits
Green Hornet - 1 year. Did not launch the Hornet guy's career. Bruce Lee was already in orbit, hahaha.

The Virginian - James Drury and "Trampas" Doug McCLure ("Tramp Ass" - hahaha).

Rat Patrol - I know this was a favorite of Steve's.

12 O'Clock High - not a drug show.

Hazel -"What'd I do wrong now, Mr. B?"

Branded - that guy lost more buttons than I can count.

Maybery RFD -Okay, so it was a 3 year sequel to the Andy Griffith Show. I am surprised it lasted more than one year.

The Good Guys - 1968, about 2.5 years. Bob Denver, Herb Edelman. Bob's character was Rufus the Cab driver. Herb was his friend, the diner owner.

It's About Time - Astronauts and Cavemen.

Run Buddy Run
Honey West
Add to the list! (No, this was not a TV show, dufus!)

steve said...

hahaha,so i log in,and what songscomes up? the andy griffith show theme.how apropro.now it's the monkees.anyway i will nominate "the second hundred years".nice catch on honey west...

Anonymous said...

Hey we were just talking about all the great T.V. of the 60's and then you put that up. Absolutley! And what about the Captain. Next time you forget Captian kangeroo i'm mailing you a shitload of ping pong balls...Sheesh!! Hahaha. Wild Wild West and Green Hormet were a couple of reasons I wanted to take martial arts lessons, but there's no influence in the pop media culture...nooooooo! Great memory Tom, great shows, thanks guys! I still watch any of this stuff if i see it.

Anonymous said...

Was Gunsmoke on there? The only other thing I can think of is Gentle Ben, and also the wonderful world of Disney on Sunday nights. Before we had a color T.V. used to like to go to Carlson's and watch cartoons, like superman. But I know Tom & I would get up early on Sat. and go sneek cookies out of the cupboard and watch stuuf like 3 stooges,(which were reruns from alot earlier of course) and Heckle & Jeckle and whatever else was on.

Anonymous said...

Hey also those dance/rock-n-roll shows like "Shindig" etc. Pretty cool to watch at the time. Hell i remember watching that at gramma's.

steve said...

and jnow i come here,and it's classical gas time whoo-hoo!hey dan,good call on "shindig"...the other was "hullabaloo"and i didn't notice american bandstand,but maybe i missed it...

Anonymous said...

Those were great shows. I have an autographed photo of Bill Bixby from the show Courtship of Eddies Father. Nice to remember the "good" shows from T.V. It does bring back good memories.

steve said...

hey,nice to see you here,tammy,and if you can scan and send me a copy of that,i'll put it up here.with proper credit to you,of course...

Anonymous said...

I also remember i used to have a copy of MAD magazine, with a parody of that,and the cover entitled,"The courtship of ODDIES Father..hahaha.

Anonymous said...

MOD SQUAD....YEAH BABY!!! Think that started in '68. And yes Tammy's gonna look for that pic, thanks. Tom used to have an autographed pic of James Darren too. i've got a stack of Monkee cards around here somewhere, unless they floated away...

steve said...

i always liked the housekeeper,mrs livingston,'specially when she would msay something like."but mr.eddies father,blah blah"

steve said...

oh yeah,peggy lipton...mmm,mmm...and i had my beatles cards up until about '95,at which point they seem to have decided to go live somewhere else..

Anonymous said...

Peggy Lipton i think married Quincy Jones or something.

steve said...

yep,married from sept. '74 till sometime in the nineties...

Anonymous said...

I just saw someone interviewing the Princton Prof. Cornell West. He looks like linc Hayes from Mod Squad...And on a footnote, Gilligan and Maryann used to smoke weed together..hahaha.

steve said...

gilligan and maryann,my kind of people...

Anonymous said...

Mr. t's said - Good point on those othe rshows, speically ModSquad, Captain Kangaroo, and Wonderful World of Disney. there are so many of those from just the sixties or started in the late sixties. Really, how could leave out American Bandstand? And there was a summer replacement show back around '65 called "Where the Action Is" produced by Dick Clark, on every day for teens. All the starts were on it except Beatles and Stones probably. Freddy Cannon saing the theme, and Paul Rvere and the Raiders were on it a lot. House band I guess.

And where the hell is Route 66? 1960-64, two guys in a Corvette...I remeber Pat and Kathy always saying how they watched that show (TOdd and "Buzz." Martin Milner and George Maharis, later replaced by Glenn Corbett).

Hey Dan, here'one: Alias Smith and Jones, but started about 1970. Also Smothers Brothers had a half hour comedy that lasted a year about Tommy being an incompetant ghost who comes back to help (harass?) his brother Dickie...uh oh...oh no! One of us will end up doing that to the other...hahahaha.

Anonymous said...

Hey Steve! What was my favorite with Gardner McKay? something like Hawaiian in Paradise. Shoot, i'm probably the only one who watched it!

steve said...

that would be "adventures in paradise" w/gardner mckay...by the way,if you scroll down to the (first)playlist,you'll find the theme for that show in the last part ,where all the t.v. themes are.

Anonymous said...

I heard that thew other day and thought that's what it was....

Mr. T.

Anonymous said...

Mr. T. says....And yes Cyndi, I did watch that when I was little, either in reruns or first run reruns, on Sunday late afternoons. I liked that sailboat.

Anonymous said...

What the hell are people going to be talking about that they watched 30 years from now? BET while f----dancing, and CSI? First 48 and adult swim cartoons? Little Moral Oral? Egads..... yeah "where the action is" was the other one besides American Bandstand" and Shindug, Tom's got a great memory.