Saturday, March 28, 2009

saturday nite youtubery , lawrence welk edition



and this is what we would be watching after dinner at old 27
on a saturday evening . you guys know what i'm talkin' about...
myron floren and jo ann castle , 1966

5 comments:

Lar said...

Great memories!! Watching Bobby dance. Listening to the Lennon Sisters. When I was a kid we never missed Lawrence Welk. After I came out here in '68, with the Navy, I used to ride my motorcycle to San Berdo every weekend & every weekend I looked for Mr. Welk to be standing by the side of the road waving as I rode by Lawrence Welk Village. Never saw him, of course... but I looked.

My mom played an accordian, eventually a Chord-o-vox which was an electric accordian. Bet Wierd Al would like one of those. Gee... imagine Myron Florin with a phase-shifter and a wah-wah pedal... or... uhh... maybe not.

Tom said...

Hahaha. Phase shifter and wah wah peddle......never thought of that for accordian. Jimi Hendrix does Pennsylvania Polka! (Or is that Transylvania Polka in his case?)

I think Dan and I would watch part of Lawrence Welk on channel 12, and then go, "no thanks, not for me," and head down to the basement or outside to play catch with Dad or play around outside. Sometimes to Paul Nass's barn. (apparently, the cows were more interesting than Welk to us...). We were more interested in Jackie Gleason or Secret Agent Man.
Sometimes there was a good Saturday night movie (Elvis?). Mostly, we would head into to town around 6:30 with Dad to get extra milk and other stuff so Grandma would have her own when we left. An ice cream cone might be snuck into the agenda too.

steve said...

ok,i am absolutely onboard with the idea of myron with a wah wah,etc. it is one of my favorite instruments to listen to.done properly,of course...

tom,i guess that year we lived there with gramma i watched a lot more of mr.welk than i realised...

Dan said...

Is this chick related to Judy Denuda? Anyway sometimes My wife sings, "HE"S to fat for me...." I do remember Lawrence Welk show being on after dinner Steve. But Tom's right, after a little of that we were off doing something else. And Tom,aren't you playing in a polka band? I could bring my axe and liven it up a little!

Tom said...

Yes a week after this post or so I was playing polkas, for 4 f-ing hours with 15 min breaks. Welk's revenge. Actually it was more fun to play than to just listen to.
Bring your AXE? Be sure to chop up the accordian first.........