So , I guess you might see where I'm going with this post.
More precisely , where we were at 50 years ago . This,
as the caption says is June 2,1968 .this was a sunday , the
last day of Memorial Day weekend 1968 .
the U.S. Congress , in late June that year passed the
May 30 had been the traditional date but was changed by
this law . Since the 30th was a Thursday,we went to this
American Cemetary on the last day of the weekend which
was 6/2/'68 . Like I already mentioned , a sunday .
See how complex and wordy I was able to make that
simple fact ? Anywho , this was day trip for us , about
a 2 hour drive . lots and lots of stunning countryside
to gaze at , as my sister and I would play "slugbug".
For those not in the know , everytime we spotted a
V.W. Bug we would punch the other in the arm . It
was fun up until our arms turned back and blue .
And there were and prolly still are plenty of bugs , I
never saw as many VW bugs...until we moved to Ca.
But that's a whole other story ,I'll save it for next year .
It was a great experience ,even as a almost 14 year old .
As I look back on it,that whole year in Germany was an
absolutely outstanding opportunity to steep myself in the
history of that glorious part of the world .
we saw castles large and small , Heidelberg Castle being
one of the larger , Honecken being one of the smallest .
there was even a village about 20 clicks away named
Frankenstein ,and yes,the had a castle ruins on the hill
overlooking the village . Me , being a Universal Monster
Movie buff,thought that was just the icing on the cake .
more soon...










No comments:
Post a Comment