Percy Bond 1894-1919
Father of Lyle Bond, my uncle [1916-1972]
Margaret Allen, mother of Lyle Bond, wife of Percy, was my
grandmother through her second husband, Floyd Allen [1887- Dec. 11, 1958].
Their 3 daughters s were Theo Allen Mickle 1924-2018, Loree Allen Timlin, my mother, [1926-1994], and
Joann Allen Hoover [1930-1997].
Percy Bond’s death of the Spanish flu pandemic in 1919 means that without his death, I and many others would not have been born. I just wish to pay tribute to this forgotten man in my family's history. He deserves so much more dignity for the accidental ultimate sacrifice he made so that many of us would be born. His son Lyle Bond became very successful in broadcasting, so at least that was some kind of tribute.
Here is the info on where he is buried. I visited there Sept.3,
2020 between approximately 1:00pm and 1:50 pm
Summerfield Cemetery in Clare County MI, north
west of Harrison MI. On Haskell Lake Rd, which turns into a
wide dirt road, appeared well groomed road, flat, no potholes, mostly dirt
rather than gravel with flying stones.
Directions:
1. From Harrison’s main corner, take MI Hwy 61
west 2 or 3 miles to Old State Road, turn right or north.
2. Take Old State Road north for several
miles, estimated 5 or 6 miles…past the following roads:
W. Stockwell Rd
W. Arnold Lake Rd
Leota Grade [a two track trail on left]
W. Long Lake Rd
3. Old State Rd curves left [west]
and turns into W. Haskell Lake Rd
Go past the
following roads:
Hill Drive
Finley Lake Ave (on left)
4. Next left past
a right curve is a dirt road
which is Haskell Like Road continued. Follow this for a mile or so
5. Summerfield Cemetery is on your left in an
open flat area. A small white maintenance shed is in front and left of property.
There are two entrances on your left on the south side of the road. Take the first one (the east side), turning left into the cemetery.
6. Shortly to your right is a 3 ft. high bush
with old gray graves nearby. Go behind the bush and you will see on the left next to (and touching) the bush a larger marker that says Mother, Cora E. Bond, 1868-1927 who was Percy’s mother. To the left of Cora is a newer looking gravestone that says Wesley Pekinpaugh 1920. It is unknown if Wesley was related, but was obviously a baby. Or a 100 year old man today. Probably not - the "1920" year is in the middle of the stone with no dash for some future death date.
O On the right side of the bush up against is a smaller square shaped grave marker that says EVA Bond, 1899-1920, must have been Percy’s sister or sister in law? Eva’s first name is on top of the marker, last name and years on on front.
7. To the
right of the bush about 3 feet is the same size marker as Eva Bond. This is Percy
Bond’s marker, his first name is also on top, last name and years
[1894-1919].
In a way I feel sorry for Percy having to die so young, age 24. I
am not sure but it seems I remember being told by my mother and aunts he was a WWI soldier who never went to Europe because of
the Pandemic flu of 1918. I believe he caught it in military camp as they all
did, probably Fort Custer in Battle Creek MI or somewhere like that. I’m not sure
how to verify that, it would take a lot of research. I am sure Percy was a fine 24 year old young man. I cannot imagine
how distraught and hurt my grandmother was, left with a 3 year old male child [Lyle]
and no father at the time.
Thomas P. Timlin Sept. 4, 2020, age 64. I am his son Lyle's nephew or "half nephew" through his mother, my grandmother, Margaret Allen.






No comments:
Post a Comment