Friday, June 27, 2008

happy birthday,gramma allen !




margaret allen
born june 27 , 1892
what a lady !
still love you ,
still miss you ...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, we do still love you and miss you Gramma. These photos are great and a couple I haven't seen I don't think. Thanks for putting these up.

Anonymous said...

Man, looking at these pictures, I can just see, feel, smell, and taste what it was like back then up a gramma's house, ya know? I can here her voice. It's just great to have those memories. She sure was special. And it sure was a special time in our lives, wasn't it?

steve said...

greatest lady i know,next to our mothers...who of course were cut from the same bolt of cloth,as the saying goes.

Anonymous said...

Mr.T.says: (copied from from ane-mail sent earlier today, plus more):
Today is Grandma Margaret Allen's birthday (116 years old). I am almost speechless in the shadow of her memory, permanently part of life and values, and affected us all. We saw her at east twice a month throughout my 29 years of knowing her. I will honor her memory with a visit to the Dover School Reunion Sunday July 20th, 2008. They haven't had a reunion in two years. Sometimes i think that is all I have left to cling to to forge ahead, by looking back. This kind of thing helps you get up the morning.

The Plus part: Yes Dan, you can hear her voice, her some of her sayings. You can smell every plant that grows or used to grow there, from the hedge, to the white Queen Anne's Lace, the smell of sanford creek, the sound of it rushing buy. I can even taste the diffrence between the water from the tap and the water from the brook in the park - remember the pipe? We used to drink from that and never got sick from it. Must have been the fountain of youth. i think that thing was still running in the late 70's but don't know how long it survivied or if it is still there.

The were grapes on a fence, if you recall, at the west end of the garden, and the taste of strawberries from the garden. Or summertime sweet tea in the kitchen with cookies from the jar.

Everything is still there in your mind...the sounds, the smells, the tastes, and most of all Grandma Allen. If there is a heaven and I am forgiven and allowed to go in when I die, that is the place i want to be with all the relatives hangin' out, more than anyplace else. You can bury me up there in Cherry Grove, too. I wouldn't mind, for I must be related to almost everyone up there in some way through ancesters. Summertime at Old 27 forever in the 60's......you couldn't knock it now. We didn't know how good we had it then.

Anonymous said...

I had forgotten about the grapes there, until you mentioned it. I don't know about the water pipe in the park, but the one on Beaverton Rd. near the corner is still there. Last time I went up I took a drink from it. The one in the park i took a sip from a few yrs. bback when you could go in there and it wasn't as grown over, or gated. I remember sweet tea. Then I used to put sugar in my tea for a time, but haven't done that in years. I don't know who started that cause supposedly that's a southern thing. Yes the queens an's lace and also those daisy's our whatever they were, not only white with yellow center but also the yellow ones with the brown center. I'll try and scan a few photos mom left me. But yes, most of all Gramma and being younger up there was the best of course.

Anonymous said...

And, of course being up there and having loads of fun with all you stinkers. I was impressionable i guess, so I remember things pretty good, some things. I was all good!!

Anonymous said...

I Like all these photos with gramma in them so it's hard to pick a favorite. I like the one by the hedges but also with all the sisters on the porch. The one at our house in the living room brings back memories of gramma's periodic visits to Lansing staying with us. She's sitting on the couch there and really that is a slip cover over the couch that my mom bought to save wear and tear on the couch and give it a different look. Boy, you not only can reconstruct the memories but also there are so many different shots of her property and house from every angle you can really get a feel for the whole property inside and out. If I ever bought that house and re-did it back to the way it was, i'll bet none of you stinkers would come visit anyway - would you? And by the way you Californians should get up here sometime if possible and pay a visit, so we can visit and especially visit the eldist sister, the matriarch. Offer still stands.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and was wondering cause I can't see it that good, is that Steve or Tom on the pic on the porch with Gramma Allen? I think it's you Steve....

Anonymous said...

Mr. T - That's steve for sure, Dan. That guy is too handsome to be me! hahaha.

You'd have to cover yourself in OFF and long clothes, and hope you don't get poison ivy, to go see if that old pipe in the park is still running water. Might meet up with Ted Nugent in there and get an arrow through your left ass bun!

Anonymous said...

That's too bad that it's all grown over. I can remember, and it wasn't really that long ago. stopping by there on my way back from Mackinaw and still being able to go back there. When the house had someone living in it but still looked the same, then it was empty another time when I went by, and the grass was all grown up and not mowed. It was sad to look at. But anyway I could, one of those times, go back there. I remember they actually had built a picnic shelter back ther in the middle - slab of cement with shelter. and tables. At the time I thought that meant they were putting Money into the park so wanted to make it better, that was in the 80's I believe. It did strike me as weird, because anyone familiar with that park knows you'd get eaten alive back there from mosquitoes, and here was this shelter in the pines, probably 10 or 15 yrds in from the spring (pipe). If Steve comes up well go back there and find the fountain of youth - or fall into a defunct shitter hole, one of the 2.

steve said...

that would be fun...