Friday, July 4, 2008

happy birthday son...and america.

happy birthday wishes to my eldest son , who turns
32 today. it hardly seems possible...all my love son ,
and i hope you have a great day . and america , you
keep on keepin on . there's no place on earth like you ,
and no place on earth we would rather be...
(photo from slvdc.org)
update : more july fourth in comments...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, Happy Birthday Josh. I remember going with you for Josh's 5th b.day in '81. I guess he's definately outgrown the rollar skates you got him since then. And your right, no place I'd rather be than in the good ole' USA!! Question for everyone: Everyone one always talks about how important their freedom is - the question is what are you doing with all this freedom? (or, what are you going to do about it)

steve said...

this is a reprint of an ongoing conversation between the michigan boys...

Have a great 4th of July, everybody. You know, i can't even remember any 4th of July Stories from days of old. Except that Dan an dI and family went to see fireworks in East Lansing once, taking our neighbors around the corner, Betsy Bacon and her sister, what's 'er name. in 1966. that's all I remember.

I really do not remember spending any fourth of July up at old 27 or Oscoda. We may have spent one 4th of July on the road on vacation, most likely the California trip of '68, but not sure.

Anybody have any memories?
------------

Besty's sister was named Dorethy, and boy that pissed Josie off. Anyway i'd forgotten about that. I can't think of any stories that are significant to the forth in Clare. I don't know when we went and saw that air show at Oscoda, went inside some planes like B52 bombers etc. could've been the 4th

----------

Don't think it was the fourth but it had to be 1966 because I do not believe Hoovers were in Clare that summer, and '68 would have been toon late while Hoovers were in Germany. the Hoovers were at Grandma's in 1967 summer and fall while Ben awaited his new orders where he was going to be staioned. I bet he enjoyed the long time off too, seeing his dad and brothers more (in '67).
---------
I remember havin' a good time lookin' at the inside of this big jet, and also watching a padded guy get attacked by a trained German Sheperd. theo was somewhat of a big wig there her self, being the secretary to one of the big shots there, writing a newsletter, etc. She had to front phone calls for the bigwigs as a civilian employee. Vain worked in the supply area as a retired air force civilian employee. Was a good set up for them. Vain must have spent a fortune on golf.

---------

I remember the best it usually got with any of our own fireworks were sparklers and "snakes" pretty much. We'd rely on other friends for the good stuuf. I think I bought some bottle rockets from Lane before, and Kerwin's uncle came up from Arkinsaw so had a bunch of stuff. Back then you had to have a connection or drive to Ohio. Nelson's had some firecrackers, I remember getting some from Tyge and putting extended wiks on them, went over light one and tried to blow up a mailbox, didn't work of course. Mark Carlson had some m80's or cherry bombs. I remeber him and I and you I believe throwing one in what's his name's (2 doors down from us, the old guy) back porch and running like hell, me tripping over a fricken wire that was holding up a smaller tree in the nieghbor's yard, that hurt! Sam Solomon and I used to mess with bottle rockets, aim them at cars as they went by his house. And, once from Nelson's driveway firing them over a guys head across the street. Also Sam and I would lght Cherry bombs and throw em out while we were hiding in the back (Laying down) of Nelson's pickup, they'd come out madder than hell and couldn't figure out who was doing it while we were right there close in the back of the truck in the driveway trying to keep from laughing out loud. Even Tim Child's came out looking around, We'd wait for awhile then do it again and they'd come bursting out the back door (garage) as quick as possible to try and catch someone "running away" hehehe. OH, those were the days, innocent fun and piromania! hahaha. When Sam and I ran out of bottle rockets and such, we'd bomb cars with apples from the orchard, and Tomatoes from a neighbors garden, then run in the back and hide by his pool, or, under a tree in the orchard if anyone got out and came looking. Close calls a few times. hahaha. Aside from fireworks, we'd do other things for amusement like c all and invite someone to come over and when they knocked on the door, we'd be at the ready, one of us would fling open the door and the other would slash a full cold bucket of water on our unsuspecting "friend", then throw them a towel and have em call someone else to come over, hahaha. All tame stuff compared to some of the shit people do today of course.
---

Anonymous said...

Mr. T. Says: Happy belated birthday to Josh, whom i have never met. Your dad and I could tell you stories of old and perhaps we could get you to laugh just once and it would be worth it. relatives you never knew you had also. Your Grampa Floyd, I hear, was a real wheeler deeler, and a character, as was your Great Grampa Hoover. Getthose two guys together and they could probably sell a used vehicle for more than it is worth through sheer personality. the they would probably argue over how they should split the money........