Saturday, September 19, 2009

saturday magical mystery tour...

From sh_letters#9


there is no #8 , so we move on to #9...several months have passed .
my dad got orders for germany, and had requested concurrent travel
orders for us . so he has been temporarily assigned to desk duty
in columbus ohio , and we have moved into old 27 ...it seems that
security was of paramount importance for our letters . oh yeah ,
cyndi and i had started school , and made friends in clare ,and
yes , i'm still a dork...look at my cartography for instance.

13 comments:

Dan said...

Yes, there should be a code, ibibibibib.(but only for laughing) That's the park alright. rat patrol I like it! Man that was kind've a long drive for Uncle Ben. And Steve, your no dork. Just a kid for gosh sakes.

Tom said...

I said that before too. we were just kids in the 60's. By today's standards, that would be dork if you were an adult. (There are many adults who are dorks anyway). Fortunately, none of us ever grew up. Also, ilike th map of the park. It may be the only one in existence!!

Tom said...

Notice how two brothers come to their cousin's defense against the idea of being a dork. Cousinly love. Also probably because they don't want to be associated with a dork because that makes them one too, hahahaha.

steve said...

i was a dork kid...nothing at all like the dashing man of mystery that i grew into.maybe toms right,nobody wants to be associated with a dork.and i've been trying to figure out why the map is oriented south instead of north.i may add some thoughts at the bottom of this post about the late spring-summer-autumn of '67.maybe a separate post...

steve said...

and yeah dan,if only.cxibibibibibib...

Anonymous Big D said...

Dorks! (Notice it's anonymous cause I wouldn't wanna ruin my rep by gettin beat up by a couple of dorks.)

steve said...

yea verily,one is judged by the company one keeps.ibibibibibib thats why i'm in exile out here i guess...

Dan said...

Hey gang, ever notice when we walked around the dirt road in the park we'd walk clockwise? (most of the time anyway) Maybe that's why you drew the map that way. When we used to take the snowmobile through there..same thing, clockwise. Not always of course. But why is that? If a car would drive back there they'd do the same thing. They are building alot of those roubd abouts up here and the cars actually drive counter clockwise around those..hmmm.

steve said...

i think it may have been because it was closer to go that way...down the old 27 driveway,take our young lives in our hands by crossing the hiway,and into the park.that way we disapeared from our parents sight almost immediately...

Tom said...

don't know about the cars, but we probaly went clockwise becaus eour parents taught us to when we were little and went for a walk in there. But that is weird. i remember Paul Nass pulloing a couple guys out of the mud with his tractor in that park-off to the rightside on the two track. Miss that field off to the right, has been nothing but brush and trees for years. up through the mid 70's it was relatively clear. the y built a backstop (homemade lookin'- Amish could do better than that!)there and played ball for a few years too. Heck, nothon' looks the same up there anymore. That is the disappointing part, but ya can't stop so called progress.

Dan said...

Yes that'swhat I was thinking, get to disappear from parents sight was cool. Lord knows what crap we were drinking outta that pipe, haha. ( I said "Drinking") And Tom, I didn't even remember that with Paul Nass until you mentioned it. I do remember Tom bringing an Acoustic guitar back there and we were standing around and a cop car came back there, hahaha. Asked us what we were up to and then just took off after that. "We stopped in here to wittle a new guitar outta these pine trees you asshole cop, now go start a donut shop downtown!"

Tom said...

hahahah---now I remember that, what was that, my senior year or first year of college. Nothing better to do, shuld have mentioned Allen Henderson being our relative and an undersherriff in Harrison. He was looking for booze and pot, no doubt and struck out.

Dan said...

What also kind of sad about the park is that in the 80's I believe they actually started trying to upgrade it. They put a picnic shelter, with concrete slab for flooring in the middle more toward the spring pipe. At first I thought it was kind've a weird location. And even in the 90's the area looked the same including gramma's house. Then, also in the 90's after someone moved out of the green house, it was the same except high grass grown up. I couldn't afford to buy it and even if I did I lived in Lansing because of my school. I had considered for a moment, starting a school in Clare but thought it wouldn't be very successful at all. My friend Scott, after he got his law degree, worked for about a year or so at the Clare county courthouse in Harrison, renting a small house on Bud lake there. If I had moved to Clare, would've had to have $ to upgrade the greenhouse and also eventually would've went crazy with boredom I think.