one of the most fun people a kid could ever imagine being
around...and the reason our family moved out here in the first
place . when we were growing up , he was the uncle we saw
every couple of years , but i bet we can all remember the times
we did see him . and i sadly remember the day in april '72 , when
my drama teacher said to me "sorry about your uncle , steve" ...
they had met when uncle lyle attended several productions our drama
dept. had done...at any rate , i remember him well , and miss him immensely .
and i am kicking myself in the ass for letting his birthday slip by me . so
here's to you uncle lyle , you who was taken much , much to early...







7 comments:
jeebus on a crutch,i just realised that i am now the same age he was when he passed away...damn.
Yes Steve. None of us will forget Uncle Lyle. I still think about him alot believe it or not and was just talking about him again to Tammy the other day. What positive energy he seemed to have. How cool was that to have an uncle in "showbiz". I still remember his trips to Michigan and going to SD and hangin out with him. What a terrific guy. He certainly is missed.Thanks for reminding us of his birthday. I really like this photo, it's a goody!
I remember how upset my mom was when she found out he had passed. I had walked in the back door and she answered the phone.....Then we drove to Clare to be with gramma. Stayed there for a few days. Theo came down etc. Of course gramma could hide her feelings really well. Anyway best to rememeber someone, especially uncle Lyle by the life he lead. I always thought he had an awesome life.
and he did have an awesome life.my mom came home early,cyndi and i left school early...then we went over to his house to be with aunt vi.of course susan and her friend diane,and allen and his family came over too.we were all in shock.he was so young(says the guy who is now that same age) and other than his diabetes was very healthy.and vibrant,to use a cliche .at least he dropped on the golf course,which is exactly the way i imagine he would have wanted.i watched the three local newscasts that evening and all had very moving tributes to him...one of the other sportscasters,name of al coupee wound up with tears in his eyes.i was amazed at the outpouring of sympathy and respect this town showed for him. i will try and get down to the hall of champions in balboa park and get a picture of his entry there.haven't been for years,will be a nice trip...
balboa park, really? Didn't know that. Wish some of that footage was still around about uncle Lyle. Or even some of his sportscasts etc. would be interesting. Sometimes I wonder things that would be irrelevant to others. What golf course did that happen on for instance. I don't even remember where Lyle's kids live, or david and Russel either.
susan lives here in town...haven't seen her since moms memorial service.i used to have an email addy for allen,think he was living in az..i found him on clare migenweb page,he was doing some research on someone.russell lives somewhere in the south,geogia,s.carolina somewhere like that.david,last i knew lives her in town...i'll have to see if i can dig up one of lyndas(allen ex)christmas letters,can find out everything from her...and i used to know which golf course it was,i'll see if i can find out...
Good work guys, I totally missed this. I fell the sam eway about Uncle Lyle. there are some people you don;t see very often but you never forget-that's why he made it to the top, a dynamic guy. did you know he went to u of M? how the hell did he afford it? He gave up his real dad for us to exist...the only dad he ever knew was Floyd. Floyd and Margaret must have recognized he was an exceptional child and acted accordingly somehow. My God, thnk of the celebrities he knew ell and those he rubbed shoulders with. On radio alone. But he treated his family like ceelebrities. ther was a time when he and Vi separated for a year or so but by 1967 were back together. they had come out together and saw all of us. there is a black and white photo somewhere that I took of them informally in our Ridgefield house driveway. Lyle told me a joke i never fogot when I was 7. "What is black and white and red all over?" "An embarrased Zebra." Fooled me. he always used to buy hos mother something when he vsited. A new TV, a new rug I remember. I am sure she protested all the way until she got used to it after he was gone, then she would brag, "Look what Lyle bought me!" hahahahahaha.
Post a Comment