
and what better way to commemorate the day than by
posting a pic of these three . labor day,1973 . this was
a couple of weeks after i had been out there ...this is a
great addition to the old 27 photo library . perhaps
one of those two shorter guys can flesh out some details
on that day . oh , and r.i.p. pat . we all miss you very much






10 comments:
Dan really unwittingly rescued lost photos that probably have not been seen in at least 8 years after dad died. I don’t know how he got a hold of them and stashed them in his now former 1st location of his Karate School. Weird. He doesn’t recollect either. Same hair as on the Steve, Dan and Tom photo taken a few weeks earlier. Really gives you perspective about life when you see someone close to you, now gone, so full of life in a photo with you. Come to think of it, my hair looks somewhat like my son's, all curly and a mess. lol.
Yes, I was thinking this was right after Steve left. Too bad we didn't have all of the 27 gang in there. I had been looking for this photo for a long time, it drove me crazy because I thought I had it once, don't know. I only wore one shirt on 1973! (same one in the pic of the 3 of us, hahaha.) At first I thought this was taken in our basement den because of the paneling in the background, then realized as Tom said it was in Oscoda. Tammy and I were just visitng and paying respects at both our grandparents and the Mickles resting place at Cherry Grove last week. Pat has been gone since 1995...almost 15 years now. God bless him, I miss him too.
and thanks Steve for posting this!
thanks for filling in the blanks guys.and dan,thanx for finding and sending this so i could post it.
Interesting that every indoor photo we have of anyone means we have interior shots of the homes and what they used to look like as well as the people.
i can remember grammas house real well,and your place on ridgefield pretty well.the mickles house in oscoda is kinda vague(the inside anyway)...
I have to admit, I didn't remember Mickles living romm having that wood paneling. I do remember the house real well though. When you walked in the front door it was the living room with kitchen straight ahead. Organ to the left which aunt Theo could play. and left was the hallway bathroom on the right. I think 2 bderooms and a den which used to be a bedroom. I remember sleeping on a fold out couch in the den. Vane had a lazy boy in there and a t.v. No basement. Slider off the kitchen next to kitchen table lead to the garage which was a car port. Later Vane did a really great job building on to the back of the house opening it right up with a huge living area and also a dining room table and a slider I think leading out back. Nice back yard with the bayou back there.
Vane bult that around 1973. that one weekend the photo was taken Dad helped a little bit. after golfing of course. Miss goin' up there once in a while too. Liked the bijou back there - neat little place. remember Dan, you and I saw at least two current movies up there. one was True Grit in 1970 (a 1969) movie, of which I still love that movie because f the line "Fill your hand you son of a bitch!" hahaha. and the other was Young Frankenstein: "Oh, what knockers. " "Thank you doctor." and "which brain DId you get?" "Abbie." Abiie who?" "Abbie Normal." Playing Mihigan rummy was fun, and snowmobiling on the bijou in Winter of course. after that though, there was not much else to do, maybe go to the beach in summer.
Yes, it seemed like a long drive at the time. I do remember going to an airshow at Wurtsmith A.F.B. where Mickles worked. Pretty cool, got to go on board a B-52 etc. Tom and I also went for a little canoe trip there, as did Tammy and I later on. And the snowmobiling was a riot. I had forgotton about playing Michigan rummy. Sometimes i'd take a bike that was in the car port and go somewhere. I remember Pat taking us to the A&W up there, while Lady Madonna was blaring out on the radio!
Better than Lady Ga Ga, lol.
I remember Pat also taking down to the service station where he worked part time (back when ot was servcie and not pump your own gas) and he borrowed the vacume cleaner to clean his dad's car up for a minute - maybe same trip to A and W. Early on one year, Kathy worked at A and W for the summer as a car hop. Not sure about roller skates though....these memories are "so sixties."
Oscoda used to have a long pier, which was taken down some time ago. Pat once helped save these two guys from drowning, tore off his shoes and wallet and dove off the pier into the water, (or at least ran into the water, not sure how it went), with another guy and save these two idiots who couldn;t swim, out in over their head. He got in the northern papaers all over northern MI and I remeber Grandma braggin about it to everyone. Pat was about 20 then so it must have been 1967. wish I wuold have pilfered and saved the article Grandma had from the newspaper.
Post a Comment