“Parental Discretion in Advised”
There are certain things that stick with you from your parents, things they said or did, etc. Now in my “older age” they crack me up.
I often tell the seniors some of these stories…like the time Dad jumped off the snowmobile (ca 1984) because the brake was broken and he couldn’t stop it. It ran right into to a tree at the edge of the woods. This was at the golf course just north of Grandmas. He didn’t want to shut it off because we had a hard time getting it started when it had run out of gas, the farthest distance possible on the golf course, away from Grandma’s house.






4 comments:
Of course, I don't miss snowmobiling anymore. the last time i was on one was probably that very time. Once Grandma was gone there was nowhere to snowmobile without going to big pains. Besides that you either froze while riding it, or burned up in that suit just standing around, while your hands and feet froze no matter how great your gloves and boots were. then the knees would give way-you are supposed to kean to steer the thing, not just turn the skiis with the "bike" handles. Nevermind hidden rocks and fences and shit. Hahahahhaa.All banged up and sore and sweaty...gee, what a great time I had. Right.
That is "lean" to steer the thing, not "kean."
Well it was fun when we first started, maybe the first 5 years or so. Our first snowmobile we got in late 1973. We had a good field to ride in because the highway 10 access from 127 was built that previous Spring and summer (Hoover and us actually went back there that summer and explored for something to do). Everything was flattened and mowed down there. I actually remember looking for a few snowmobiles with Dad after school and cherish that memory more than the snowmobiling itself, just spending time with Dad.The first snowmobile was a Snow Jet, used, and the second one was a Scorpian, used but more powerful Yamaha engine.We got the Scorpian in 1978.
Yes, was there when dad ran along side the snowmobile, actually the throttle was frozen and as he ran along the side of it the snow got deeper so he was bounding through the snow to keep up until WHAM! Right into a tree. Was serious at first but then Tammy and I started laughing as it went on. Just bent the front protective bumper a little and the windshield cracked. Snow mobiles run and are built a lot nicer now of course and one of my friends has one and can hardly wait to use in this winter. I think I'll pass on that. (Tom, I'm talking about Mark Geahan)
Post a Comment